Wednesday 31 July 2013

A 2013 Underrated Song: Amandine Bourgeois - L'enfer Et Moi - review

If you read the Contigo Hasta El Final review, you'll know why I'm reviewing underrated songs. If not, it's because, well, they're underrated and deserve more limelight. 


 The song "L'enfer Et Moi" or, as translated in English, "Hell and Me" was composed by David Salkin and Boris Bergman. And was performed by the Amandine Bourgeois, the French entrant.



The song was a fan favourite and received a HUGE round of applause after the performance was over, but it was definitely screwed over by the running order, having to go 1st. Even the great Graham Norton (BBC Commentator) said that the song was incredible, as well as Amandine herself being incredible. (As a member of the Big 5 - the 5 who contribute to the Eurovision the most; UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France - it did not have to qualify in the semi finals.)

At the actual contest, the song was scheduled to go 1st, which it did. Amandine put on a great performance, vigorously walking across the stage with attitude, as if she was there to win it. She put a lot of effort into the song, singing it with a real feisty voice, again, as if she was there to win it. Graham Norton said, "incredible performer, incredible song, but it will probably be forgotten due to its running order," and indeed, he was right. In the end, the song only finished 23rd with 14 points. Being 4th-to-last, finishing on the right side of the board and even being beaten by Lithuania and the terrible song "Something". On the bright side, unlike "Something", "L'enfer Et Moi" actually received a top 3 score, 8, from San Marino. I humbly thank you, San Marino.

The Review:

Vocals: On the night, Amandine's vocals were perfect. I could not fault them. On key throughout the whole thing, and the powerful mighty "L'enfer!" at the end was the highlight for me. I'll skip saying all the boring explanations and go straight into the rating. 10/10, for sure.

Song: The song itself was a dark, punk rock type of song. Now, I'll admit, at first, I didn't like the song, as I'm one for dance music rather than punk, but after a while, it really grew on me and I even learned French in my own time to understand the song. I really like how it's not your average "tap, boom" drum beat, it's more "tap" during the verses, then "boom" in the chorus, I also think the lyrics are amazing too. The song, I give, 10/10.

Performance: The on night performance wasn't what the French fans were expecting, there was no real dance, only Amandine throwing her arms about. But, you know, this worked for this song, a very rebellious song and, to me, throwing your arms about carefree is rebellious. The backdrop was mesmerizing, very beautiful. The performance will receive a 10/10 from me.

Overall rating: 10/10. This song was one of the best songs at the Eurovision 2013 and deserved a higher positioning. It's a must listen to and even a must download.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, guys. Please remember, your opinions are valid too! :-)

    ReplyDelete